Monday, October 17

homemade granola bars

I didn't attempt to make granola bars for a long time because they always seemed complicated and involving many ingredients that I didn't keep on hand. Sunflower kernels....toasted wheat germ....flaxseed......I just don't. :)
But then I came across this recipe and knew it was one I could attempt! I've made a few tweaks for what works for us.
 I now usually make them at least once a week (because they disappear!) and they literally take me about 10 minutes. You can adapt them all different ways.........my current batch has peanut butter chips and Trader Joe's orange flavored cranberries!

Peanut Butter Granola Bars

* 1 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal

*1 cup other cereal (grape nut flakes or kashi go lean are good ones)

* 2 cups old-fashioned oats

* 2/3 cup packed brown sugar

* 2/3 cup honey (note: this gives them a very strong honey flavor. I usually use 1/3 c. honey and 1/3 c. maple syrup or another liquid sweetener instead.)

* 1/2 cup peanut butter

* 1 tsp vanilla extract

* 1/4 tsp cinnamon

* 1/2 tsp salt

Optional add-ins:

* 1/4 c. chocolate chips (put these in freezer before adding or the chocolate will smear)

*1/4 c. raisins or dried cranberries

*1/4 c. slivered almonds

*1/4 c. coconut

Directions: Grease or line a 9×13 inch pan.

Mix brown sugar, honey and peanut butter in a small sauce pan. Stir over medium heat until just boiling. Add in the vanilla right at the end.

In a large bowl combine the cereal and oatmeal, cinnamon, salt, and any other add-ins (minus the chocolate chips).

Add the hot mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Lastly, stir in the frozen chocolate chips.

Pour into the prepared pan. Press flat using a spatula or aluminum foil (which doesn’t stick at all!). Stick them in the freezer for 30-60 minutes. Set aside to thaw, then cut into bars. Makes 15 bars.

TIPS:

* Bars taste great if frozen…. Once thawed they retain the chewy texture however I would avoid refrigerating the bars as this seems to dry them out.

* To keep fresh store at room temperature in a sealed container.

Other “Add-Ins” to experiment with:

 M&M’s, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, dates, dried apricots, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, flax seed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, toffee pieces…


1 comment:

suzanne said...

Yum! I think I'm gonna have to try these. We LOVE TJ's orange cranberries!