So my due date has come and gone...and no baby. Not a big surprise. I have been told countless times that first babies are always late. And that's what I have tried to put my mind to this whole pregnancy. I guess the thing that threw me off was that 10 days ago my dr. & nurses all assured me I was about to give birth any second! So, naturally, I began to think that was true. (big mistake :)
This weekend, God definitely gave me a peace about the timing of this baby. I know it's in His hands. I feel absolutely assured that Graham will come when he comes and making myself feel pressure to accommodate certain people's schedules is not going to help anything.
The ony thing that is somewhat discouraging is knowing that I still may have to be induced after the whole emotional upheaval we went through last week! But, again, God is in control of this situation and I rest in Him.
I do have a few small suggestions to anyone who may interact with anyone who is pregnant...
I have been shocked at the words that people will say to some who is pregnant. It's like all tact flys right out of the window and does not apply to someone who is pregnant. Some of these have been said to me, some of my friends have recently told me they've been said to them.
They are meant to be funny...but seriously...think about it. :)
1. do not ask a woman if she is having any twins
(do you want her to be any more sensitive about this?!)
2. do not tell her that she seems to be too small
(do you want to make her worry? are you her dr?!)
3. do not ask if she has stretch marks
(now, mercifully, I do not, but I think if I did, I would have been very tempted to LIE!)
4. do not tell her how swollen she is
(yes, someone did tell me yesterday how swollen my face was. ummm, thank you?)
5. do not tell her if she just does "this", it will induce labor.
(yes, I have tried them all, and no, they do not work if baby is not ready to come!)
6. do not tell her the last month or 2 flys by.
(are you kidding me? it's the longest month of my life!)
7. do not criticize the name choice
(we have lots of positive comments about our name, but if you don't like it, it's ok to pretend you do!)
8. do not badger those who choose to keep gender or name a secret.
(this wasn't us, but I know it can be hard for those who go this route!)
9. do not be critical of childbirth classes or birthing methods that a couple chooses.
(wow, I didn't know what a big deal it was between going "natural" or using medication or using a midwife vs. dr. or to circumsize or not to, to vaccinate or not to...people have very strong opinions on both sides of all these issues!)
10. Just be supportive and love. Only give advice when asked.
(we appreciate the many words of wisdom that people have shared with us. I think it's just that by month 9 we heard the same things so many times, that it gets a little overwhelming!)
11. It's ok to talk to a pregnant woman about something other than her pregnancy.
(I love conversation that has nothing to do with it at this point!)
12. How much weight have you gained?
what?? how much do YOU weigh?
13. let's remove this comment from our vocab - "still pregnant, huh?"
(why, yes, I am. thank you for the reminder :)
> does anyone else have crazy things that people have said to them?? <