Friday, June 1

the { wanna-be } foodie in me


Ever walk away from a meal & feel awesomely stuffed?
How often is that meal a salad?!
 
SALAD:
chopped spinach
1 cup halved cherry or chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 large avocado, sliced
1/3 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
1/4 cup sliced almonds
DRESSING:
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar (I only had white cooking wine)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
dash of sugar, to taste

Andrew & I both agreed it was de-lish and this may be a regular menu item. Although I must say, I should have at least doubled the dressing! And this is one of the few times I fudged and the kids ate just chicken with a side of potatoes & veggies.

A couple of other firsts this week:
freshly-squeezed lemonade - big thumbs up! Everyone might know this, but if you slice the lemons in half and then microwave them, you'll get much more juice from them.
Homemade chocolate syrup. I do like a little chocolate sauce with my ice cream, oh yes I do. This recipe was so simple & easy, I don't think I should ever need to buy it again. And not that we're going for healthy here, but it definitely it is better for you than the store-bought kind. :)
Mac & Cheese - This wasn't too bad - the sauce was definitely yummy! It's pretty dense and Graham wouldn't touch it. :-/ Isn't it crazy when you make something from scratch and your kids just want something from a box?! Ah well, we'll see....the verdict is still out on this one!

So thank you Pinterest, Pinterest, Pinterest & Pinterest, whatever would we do without you? =)

No comments: