Tuesday, June 9

in the kitchen...

Last night Andrew walked into the kitchen and said "it smells like fall in here"! why? because I (HEART) Pumpkin and decided to whip up some tasty pumpkin treats in...gasp...June!

So here's the yummy pancakes we enjoyed for dinner...
Pumpkin Pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar


if that looks good...check out the recipe here

**note** - I double this recipe and put LOTS of pancakes in the freezer. So for the next month or so, whenever we want a hot breakfast, I pull a couple of the freezer, pop in the microwave, and there it is! (when I double I use 2 c. white flour and 2 c. whole-wheat flour for a little added nutrition)

If you buy the BIG can of pumpkin (29 oz), you'll have just enough pumpkin leftover to make these other tasty treats!
Pumpkin Wheat Honey Muffins
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


and the complete recipe is here

**note** I skipped the raisins & nuts and used cinnamon, all-spice, & cloves instead of the pumpkin pie spice.
I also used a full cup of pumpkin instead of 3/4. Also note, these aren't going to taste like cupcakes as we sometimes expect our muffins to be, but they are a good hearty breakfast!

I like these recipes because they take some yummy foods and put a few little nutritional tweaks on them - such as whole wheat flour, honey instead of white sugar, and of course the pumpkin! but still delicious, in my humble opinion! So if you dare to open the pumpkin this summer...happy cooking (&eating).

what could be next? fudge in July...?? :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I (heart) pumpkin too. You make me want to make something with it now! I will have to try these recipes. The other day I smelled spiced chai and I got a little anxious for fall until I remembered how much I love the beach too.

JordanandSue said...

I'm not a huge pumpkin fan, but those really sound good! I'm ALL ABOUT fudge in July!